The BIEA graduate attachments offer recent graduates with an interest in further studies in any discipline in the Humanities and Social Sciences in Africa, the opportunity to gain practical research experience and develop their networks in a three-month enrollment at the BIEA in Nairobi, Kenya.
While subject to change, BIEA graduate attachés:
- Will develop their research interests in the region via dedicated library time enabling the development of a literature review using our well-stocked library.
- Gain practical experience of conducting research in East Africa by working as a research assistant for innovative historical, archaeological, anthropological, political science or legal projects.
- Develop international networks with early career and established researchers.
- Gain administrative skills and experience by assisting the BIEA in the organisation of events and in the day-to-day activities of the institute.
- Have the opportunity to take beginner, intermediate or advanced Kiswahili classes.
Graduate attachés will receive a monthly salary while staying in Nairobi for the duration of their attachment. The BIEA will assist in identifying suitable accommodation close to the BIEA if required. The BIEA will cover the cost of travel to and from Nairobi, a visa if required, and insurance for the period of the attachment.
The GAS scheme will run in 2 cohorts in 2023: mid-May – mid-August 2023; September – November 2023. Applicants should indicate their preferred cohort although this cannot be guaranteed. Deadline for applications is 14th April 2023. To apply please see here
We will endeavour to inform successful applicants by end of April.