- As a member based outside Africa, you receive online access to our high-impact peer reviewed journals Azania: Archaeological Research in Africa; and Journal of Eastern African Studies Africa-based scholars receive online access either va BIEA membership or for free via Taylor & Francis’ STAR programme: https://authorservices.taylorandfrancis.com/publishing-your-research/choosing-a-journal/supporting-authors-in-emerging-regions/star-eligible-countries/)
- As a member you are able to join exclusive member-only events and study groups, and receive advanced warning about all of our upcoming events via our weekly member’s news bulletin. Covid has led us to move our events to online platforms, and we will continue to offer this option in the future, even when face-to-face meetings are possible again.
- Members can apply for all the funding and opportunities provided by the BIEA, including our bi-annual thematic grants awards and our unique funding programmes such as our grant-writing and research dissemination awards.
- Members are entitled to use our facilities in Nairobi for events and research, including hiring our events spaces, using our well-stocked library, and hiring our field equipment.
- As a member of the BIEA you join a rich, diverse community of researchers working across Africa on subjects from across the humanities and social science, opening possibilities for networking and collaborating and expanding research horizons.
How to join
To be eligible for our discounted membership rate, students and retirees will need to provide proof of status before completing the membership process.
Select your membership category from the table above.
You can pay using Paypal, debit/credit card, and M-pesa.
Please complete the membership form here and email this, along with proof of status (for students/retirees) and proof of payment to [email protected] to complete your membership process. Your BIEA login details will be sent to you in reply.
If you have any membership queries, please contact [email protected]
|Membership||Membership w/1 print journal||Membership w/2 print journals|
|High Income Countries||£20||£15||£35||£30||£55||£50|
|Low Income Countries||£10 (KES1,500)||Free||£25 (KES3,750)||£20 (KES3,000)||£45 (KES6,750)||£40 (KES6,000)|